The presence of video online is greater than any of us can really comprehend but here are some incredible statistics that give us some insight into its significance:
YouTube stats taken from Youtube.com
- Over 800 million unique users visit YouTube each month.
- Over 3 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube.
- 70% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US.
- YouTube is localised in 39 countries and across 54 languages.
- In 2011, YouTube had more than 1 trillion views, or almost 140 views for every person on Earth.
- 98 of AdAge’s Top 100 advertisers have run campaigns on YouTube.
- YouTube mobile gets over 600 million views a day, and traffic from mobile devices tripled in 2011.
- 500 years of YouTube video are watched every day on Facebook.
- Over 700 YouTube videos are shared on Twitter each minute.
- 100 million people take a social action on YouTube (likes, shares, comments, etc.) every week.
- YouTube sees more than 500 tweets per minute containing a YouTube link.
- Companies using video for promotion have seen sales lift from 20% to 40%. (wecapture.co.uk)
- Consumers who watch product videos are 85% more likely to buy products compared to those who do not watch. (Internet Retailer, April 2010)
- Online retail shoppers who watch video spend about two minutes more on that site. (Internet Retailer)
Web video stats
- 59% of senior executives prefer to watch video instead of reading text. (wecapture.co.uk)
- 30% of Internet traffic is currently video.
- By 2013, 90% of Internet traffic will be video. (2010 report from Cisco)
- By 2014, online video ad spending will swell from $1.97 billion to $5.71 billion. (engage.tmgcustommedia.com)
- Video email messages generate 2-3 X higher click-through rates compared to static emails. (engage.tmgcustommedia.com)